Welcome to my random thoughts diary. Here I dish about philosophy, life, people, and myself. I'll talk about pretty much anything BUT politics here, so have a look and hopefully you'll leave here with something to think about.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Ahh...modern conveniences

Mood: Elated
Music: whatever electronic muzak comes through the speakers


It's finally over.

For the last eight weeks, I've seen hardly anyone but either 14 year old scouts or 40 year old scoutmasters. I've drank nothing but powerade and water. I've eaten little more than high school cafeteria food. I've hardly seen a newspaper, much less been able to get a phone call or plug into the internet. I've worn only canvas uniform shorts and the same three t-shirts over and over. I've slept in a cramped 10x8 room where the power only worked about a third of the time with 2 other guys. Worst of all, I haven't had a good political or philosophical discussion with another intelligent human being since I left.

Now, I can't help but look around and smile with relief.

I'm sitting in a climate controlled coffee shop drinking a fruit smoothie and eating a homemade muffin larger than my head. Not only do I not need to plug in to a phone line, I'm enjoying the fruits of wireless high-speed internet. I'm wearing khaki shorts, sandals without socks, an untucked button-down shirt, and, of course, my leather hat. There are women everywhere I look wearing the usual summer attire, including the one sitting beside me in the low riders and spaghetti straps (thank you God, I'll hit ya back later bro), who also spent the last hour debating what constitutes a justifiable cause to go to war. Finally, probably best of all (well, with the exception of maybe the last sentence), I'll go home tonight to my 800 sq. foot condo with cable, a huge tv, a giant leather couch, central air conditioning, etc., that I live at all by myself.

Ahhhh...feels good.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Scouts, and I love camping. But I also love modern conveniences. I need my news now. I need to interact with a female on a daily basis for longer than 15 minutes. I need to watch Jon Stewart. And I like blended fruit drinks dammit!

Home sweet home.

Gotta love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home