Welcome to my random thoughts diary. Here I dish about philosophy, life, people, and myself. I'll talk about pretty much anything BUT politics here, so have a look and hopefully you'll leave here with something to think about.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Another Great Week

Mood: Happy, Excited
Music: Counting Crows

I must be the only one not currently suffering from the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder lately (you know, that depression that people get in winter because of a lack of sun exposure that makes them all cranky and moody). I say that because people everywhere seem to be on a hair trigger or just extremely sensitive. Misunderstandings, flaring tempers, and just general sadness seems to be permeating all my friends. Hence why I'm listening to Counting Crows; "Long December" just seemed appropriate, despite the fact it's January now lol.

But I've had one spectacular week. I've just been in an awesome mood all week long, and I don't even know why. Good things have happened, but nothing to really put me in this kind of mood I don't think.

One such occurrence has been the submission of my final graduate school applications. They just went in the mail today. Finally, it's out of my hands now. I applied to two top 10 schools, three top 25 schools, and five top 50 schools (exclusive, ten in all). I know, it seems ambitious, but dammit "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggoneit people like me!" Heh, sorry, old SNL flashbacks. I'm pretty sure that I'll get funded from at least a couple of these places, and it's just so rewarding to realize that I'll finally be getting paid to study and teach what I love. It's an exhilerating feeling!

Another good thing has been just people on the streets this week. Four times this week I've been stopped by random people while walking between classes who have all just want to tell me how much they love my work with The Beacon and that they always pass my columns around to their friends and co-workers. This isn't uncommon, but the sheer number of times this week has been significant by comparison. Nothing gives ya that sense of accomplishment about your work quite like a compliment from a stranger on the streets.

Hrm...what else?

Oh yeah, there is of course the new toy, the X-Box 360, which I wrote about on Wednesday (see below). It's turned me into a total vegitable these past two days lol, but damn its so fun. Kameo is still great, and I actually sat down and played Condemned for a decent amount of time yesterday, and it got really good really quick (I'm bumping it's grade up to a B+ hehe).

I also came to the realization that this is the first semester in four years that I've not had a major research paper due in any class. I don't mind them usually, but it is nice to have it easy on the homework this last semester before I have to dig in hard for graduate school. It's also the first semester that I don't have a class in HSS since I've been here I think lol. It feels weird to not have to spend each day in that funky-looking building with no supplies made before V-E Day. I'm actually in decent accomidations this semester, like Stokeley Atheletic (surprise of surprises the atheletic department is well-maintained lol).

Anyway, all these things are cool and really great and all, but I'm usually a subdued, hard to impress person. But I've just been upbeat all week long. Even before this stuff started happening I was uncharacteristically excited and cheerful (not that I'm usually unhappy or whatever - bah you know what I mean lol!) I'm starting to wonder if someone's been slipping something in my Diet Dr. Peppers this week...

Ah well, not like I'm gonna complain hehe. Well that's about all for nowI think. I guess it's time to start cleanin' up. I've got dinner with a friend tonight followed by a poker game with a group of buddies whom I plan on taking for every dime they have lol, plus a few errands to run in the meantine, so I guess I should start gettin' ready. Until later everyone!

~Peace

Random Quote of the Day:
"That's a negative Ghost Rider, pattern is full, over." -Top Gun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home