Welcome to my random thoughts diary. Here I dish about philosophy, life, people, and myself. I'll talk about pretty much anything BUT politics here, so have a look and hopefully you'll leave here with something to think about.

Monday, January 02, 2006

What I've done with my winter break

Mood: Bored
TV: Ghostbusters

Winter break is over half over (heh, weird sounding). I've been exceptionally bored. There's hardly anything going on, but I figure what the hell, let's look at what I've been up to.

1. Grad School Apps.
This has been the one thing I've actually done with my life these last couple weeks to improve myself. Writing people and trying to tell them why they should give you money and pay for your education is hard. It's like prostitution, only with words. See, prostitutes work together, but grad school candidates are constantly gouging each other in the eyes trying to make themselves look better than everyone else. Viscious bastards. I'm just not the competitive type. Guess I'd better sharpen my broadsword.

2. Strip Clubbing
Heh, I know I just wrote about it. But it was funny. Kinda tragic, but funny nonetheless. My buddy wrote about his perception of the experience, check it out here.

3. Catching up on my movies
God I'm so bored. This has been the predominant activity as of late. Currently in theaters, I can recommend the following:

Syriana
From the makers of Traffic, another excellent film, Syriana tells the full-course story of the effects of the oil industry on the world. It deals with how the government ends up fighting itself by investigating illegal oil trading on the one hand while supporting such trades for improving the economy on the other. Then it talks about the role of the intelligence community in perpetuating the economic elites' agenda by eliminating threates to the continued exploitation of the oil-rich nations. And finally, we get to see the the effects on the people within these countries, and the creation of terrorism as the only percievable means for resisting this exploitation. Phenominal movie. A+

The Producers
Seen it twice now and I can safely say that Mel Brooks is a genius. For those that don't know, The Producers is a film about two Broadway producers (Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick) who discover that its possibly to make more money by overselling shares in a play that flops than it is to create a success. So they go looking for the absolute worst play in history, and find it in a musical entitled "Springtime for Hitler" written by a Neo-Nazi (Will Ferrel). After finding the most flamboyantly gay director in history, they are all set up for the play to bomb. Unfortunately for them, it becomes a success as a tongue-in-cheek comedy! The two face jail time for fraud and everything just kinda goes to hell. Absolutely hilarious. A

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Seen this one twice, too. Another good installment in the Harry Potter series. Unfortunately, it suffers from some pacing issues. Everything is too fast. They just tried to cram so much into a hardline 2.5 hour time limit, and it just got tedious. But the acting is superb and the actors keep getting more comfortable in their roles. The plot itself is also very good, though it did get a little bogged down in the melodrama Ron/Hermione relationship thing. And I hadn't read the book so I didn't know Harry had a thing for asian chicks lol jk. Though the third one is still my favorite, this one is quite good too. B

4. Dating Scene
It's funny, I've dated more people in the last month than I have in the last year. True, for half that year I was undergoing a self-imposed celibacy, but still it's been an interesting month. Granted, save for one, all the girls I've been out with have been little more than a waste of my money (hence why I've seen Harry Potter and The Producers twice now, among other pits I've been pumping cash into). Anyway, I have learned that it hasn't gotten any easier, but that I've gotten alot better at it in my absence.

Anyway, that's about all for now. Cya later!

~Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home