Welcome to my random thoughts diary. Here I dish about philosophy, life, people, and myself. I'll talk about pretty much anything BUT politics here, so have a look and hopefully you'll leave here with something to think about.

Monday, February 13, 2006

I get recognized in the strangest places...

Mood: Quite Content
Currently Reading: The Great Santini by Pat Conroy and re-reading Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken

...And by the most unexpected of people, too.

So I went up to Gatlinburg today thinking this would be great weather to get a few runs in. I left right after my classes ended at 1, thinking that I'd have a pretty good run for a Monday afternoon without too many other people around.

What I failed to realize was that Sevier County Schools had been closed today, so every HS student within 50 miles had converged on Ober, claiming the slopes for themselves. The place was jam packed.

Still, the weather was great, and the back slopes had been opened for the first time all season, so I got about five runs in til I took a spectacular fall off the first turn on Bear Run, going completely airborne for a moment, landing on my back and sliding about a hundred feet.

I wish I'd had a camera.

I was fine, but those around me weren't so sure, and about four people came over to check and make sure I was okay. I told them I was, and then one, a cute co-ed, said, "Hey, I know you." I told her I doubted that while I put my skis back on. But she insisted she did, but couldn't remember from where. I told her and the others thanks for checkin' on me and went on my way.

I got a couple more spill-free runs in when I was assaulted by the girl again standing in line for the lift. "I remembered! You're Jon Fish!" I asked her how she knew that and she said she'd read (and loved hehe) my columns. I assumed she went to UT (she looked about my age), but she mentioned that she was just a senior at Gatlinburg-Pittman High (but 18, I checked heh). I asked how in God's name she could know who I was and she said her sister always brought The Beacon home on weekends.

So, apparently Gatlinburg High chicks are reading my work. I dunno whether or not to be flattered or creeped out (but I went with the former this time).

Oh yeah, I feel the need to share this; it was kinda funny. But I should give some background probably. I told John in the fall that since this was my last year I'd be trying my damnedest to sneak something past him, but then promptly forgot my promise til this past week when my column was due. So I thoguht I'd give it a shot since I'd lulled him into a false sense of security, or so I thought. Here's the e-mail he sent me today:

Lax as I may be some days, I do edit things, and I think I should inform you that "pussies" doesn't fit in with our editorial guidelines. Otherwise, good work
John Carruthers
Editor-in-Chief, The Daily Beacon

Dammit all! He caught me! Bah! Sigh...ah well. See if you can figure out where that word was supposed to be, lol.

Alright, that's all for tonight I suppose. Cya later, all!

~Peace

Random Quoted of the Day: Shut Up! -Bill O'Reilley every time someone disagrees with him, especially if they're right. That, and Turn off his mic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home